Monday, July 18, 2011

Subject: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LASS!!

Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday Dear Kara, Happy Birthday to You!  (Trust me, it's better I write this out, then call and sing!)

Today, in honor of your birthday, let's talk about cake.

Now, we've talked about Ina's Beatty's Chocolate Cake on more than one occasion.  Here I  tried it out pretty much per the recipe.


This weekend, I tried it again and think I may have found the perfect finishing touch for what has to be the most delicious cake I've ever had...


Raspberry Preserves - YES PLEASE!!  So, I took the preserves, about 1/4 of the jar, and reduced them in a sauce pan so it wouldn't be jelly-ish.  Then I spread them on the bottom layer, then added the top layer and spread some on there as well.  I finished it off with a few fresh raspberries and served it with a dollop of Cool Whip and some more fresh raspberries.  It was SO good.  This way you can concentrate on the real star of the dessert - the cake - and not be overwhelmed with some crazy frosting.  I think this could be equally delicious with some strawberry preserves or jam and fresh strawberries.

Until the Beatty's Chocolate cake with a "Peach" twist...

No comments: