Monday, April 4, 2011

Subject: Antiquing Part 1

Melissa - So, we were both a little busy last week, which explains our absence. Of course, you have a busy week ahead of you with a visit down to my neck of the woods (can't wait to be re-united over a lovely dinner), so I thought I would use this week to give you some time off and show you a few pictures. Last week I went up to Thomasville, Georgia, for the morning with my friend Holly and our daughters. It was a perfect cool, sunshine-y morning to walk around. We had chicken salad sandwiches for lunch at one of my favorite cafes and then headed back to Tallahassee in time for afternoon naps. Anyway, we went to my favorite antique shop (turns out it was Holly's fav too) and I took a TON of pictures. Instead of sharing them in one long post, I thought I would stretch out my finds over the next few days. The shop is called Relics, which I think is the perfect name for an antique store, and really what makes the shop so great is the way the owners style everything. It is like an authentic, real-life version of Anthropologie. They have lots of interesting pieces, but then they also put them together in a really great way too that is super-appealing and inspiring. I think some antique shops just look cluttered and I can't wait to get out of there, but this one is organized really well and instead of displays looking cluttered and overwhelming, they look styled and, even if there is a ton of stuff in a particular vignette, it still works really well. So, I can't wait to share! First, here is a little section that I just loved: I love the big red mirror in the background. I don't know if you can tell, but it goes all the way to the floor. The frame resembled a fireplace mantle, but it was HUGE. It was the perfect backdrop to the wooden table and the lamps, plus the chandelier too. Here is a close-up of one of the lamps:
It was wrought iron and super heavy and substantial-looking. Maybe it was made from an old gate or something. Who knows but it was really old with this great, authentic patina on it. The shade obviously isn't an antique (I think the plastic wrapping gives it away), but I think the shape of it works really well with this base. You don't want anything that will detract from the lamp, but you still want something with interest. Here is a close-up of the chandelier:


This isn't the greatest picture, but it was a nice combination of sparkle and hardware. Then this was in front of the mirror/table:



It looks like a piece of old farm equipment, but with a piece of glass on top it works as a coffee table. See what I mean? If that was just leaning against a wall, I wouldn't give it a second glance, but I think as a coffee table it's pure genius. It would be so perfect in an old farmhouse. Of course, it's probably not all that kid-friendly, but maybe our farmhouse owners are grandparents with older grandkids? Just an idea. I like how it's quirky and different, but not so far out there that it's obnoxious, if that makes sense? Here is another set of lamps that I thought was really nice:



Maybe having both would be a little much, but I liked the glossy base and the lines and proportions of the base with the shade. I also loved the big brass mirror in the background. And here is a close-up of the table under one of the lamps:




I am a sucker for side tables...if I had a bigger house I would have waaay more! I like how this one has a drawer and a little display shelf (kind of like your night stands!) and then the little casters are just perfect.


Nothing like seeing these images to make you want to move and base your entire decorating scheme on these pieces!


I've only just begun and have a ton of pictures left to show you...get excited!


Until tomorrow,

Kara

No comments: