Monday, June 20, 2011

Subject: Syroco

Have you heard of Syroco?  Lately, I've been admiring Syroco mirrors like these. 

For Sale on Ebay

For Sale on Etsy

A short history lesson:   Syroco. The SYRACUSE ORNAMENTAL COMPANY, was founded in the late 1890's by Adolph Holstein, an Austrian woodcarver.  Initially the company produced ornamental carvings for the embellishment of coffins and furniture as well as the interiors of fashionable homes.  In the 1950's, Syroco started to change directions and offered highly stylized wall mirrors, sconces and decorations. (Thanks to vintagecorkscrews.com for the info.)

Some of my favorite stores even sell Syroco-esq mirrors:

From Wisteria
From Horchow
I thought that a Syroco mirror might look really pretty over the dresser in my guest room.  I'll keep you posted as to what I decide.

No comments: