Friday, February 11, 2011

Subject: One Year as a Mrs.

Were you curious what that picture was from yesterday??  When I first saw it, I thought it had to be in Europe.  However, the Grove Park Inn is about four hours north of us in Asheville, NC.  Here are a few pictures:




That last picture is part of the spa.  Pretty amazing, right??

Hubby has actually vacationed there with his family when he was younger, and thought it would be the perfect place for our first year anniversary trip.  We still have some time until Memorial Day weekend, but just looking at the pictures is getting me excited.  I need this vacation!!

I thought you would get a kick out of some of the history of the hotel.  It opened in 1913 and has hosted guests including F. Scott Fitzgerald, Harry Houdini, Will Rogers, George Gershwin, Thomas Edison, Eleanor Roosevelt and Henry Ford.  The list of presidents who have stayed at the Inn include William Howard Taft, Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Richard M. Nixon, George H. W. Bush, William J. Clinton and Barack H. Obama.

I also learned from my research that there is a ghost in the hotel, known as the Pink Lady.  In the 1920's a young girl in a pink chiffon dress was said to have fallen or been pushed from one of the balconies.  They claim she is friendly though!

I'll let you know once we are officially booked.  And I've already purchased Hubby's anniversary gift.  Something paper of course.  I like the idea of following tradition!!  Will share what I ended up with AFTER the anniversary. 

Have a wonderful weekend!!  I am going to the COOLEST place tomorrow.  Can't wait to tell you all about it.  Hopefully it is as cool as it's supposed to be otherwise this will just be an exaggeration!

Mel

Update:  The trip has been booked.  Grove Park Inn here we come.  (In May)

No comments: