Thursday, January 27, 2011

Subject: My Latest Projects

Melissa!!!

So, here are my latest projects: this dresser and chair that I’m painting for my mother-in-law.


The dresser we found out an antique store over the weekend. It was in great shape (except for needing a paint job, obviously) and solid wood. Plus, the price was great – the asking price was $120, and then we were able to talk the seller down to $105…so basically she got the tax for free!

The chair she already had, but she is trying to re-vamp her office and the black lacquer didn’t exactly “go” with the calmer décor she was going for. This orange-y fabric was the original covering, and it most recently had a yellow fabric which she’s already removed. The cushion doesn’t come off, so putting the new fabric on will be interesting, but it’s going to give me my first shot at using upholstery tacks. I ordered them from Amazon here. You can order them by the yard and then you order the nail separately. I’m kind of excited about using them – I’ll let you know how it goes.

And finally, over the weekend I found this:

I’m going to paint it and replace the mirror in my guest bathroom with it. The morning we went I had just measured the mirror in that bathroom and stored it in my phone. That’s what I have been doing lately: keeping specific measurements for pieces that I am on the hunt for in the “notes” section of my phone. It’s so handy…I always have my phone.

I’ve decided to give up my idea of framing the current mirror in my master bath and instead I am on the lookout for a mirror like this. It's a Sarah's House special, which means I'll probably need to look for it in an obscure thrift shop in Canada. Awesome.


I’m not sure where I will find it, but I like that I have something in mind. So be on the lookout!
I can’t wait to send you my ‘after’ pictures. I’m at the mercy of my mother-in-law for the dresser because she still has to pick out the hardware, and I am waiting on the upholstery tacks to come in the mail to get started on the reupholstering the chair. I haven’t decided if I am going to spray paint the mirror or brush paint it…spray painting will delay the project until it’s warmer out. I am SO looking forward to spray painting weather – I have so many projects to do! But next week I am going to start painting the kitchen...I'm going to get as many indoor projects as I can done, so when the weather is nice again, I can concentrate on the exterior. Okay, that's all for now!

Hugs,
Kara

No comments: