Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Subject: Baby Talk & Dinner

Hi and happy birth-day! That is so exciting about your cousin...and your baby itch :) I'm curious to see where it goes. So sorry I haven't posted in the past few days. I will send you pictures soon of what I have been busy at work on. Here's a hint: I went "hunting" this weekend with my mother-in-law to a few of my favorite antique shops and I am now working on updating my treasures. Well, her treasures. I am painting a few pieces of furniture for her. So, pictures to follow soon!


I love this conversation about dinners! Here are the current recipes in our household, divided into four categories: Regular Rotation, Weekends, Company and Rarely. Also, so far this year I have added three recipes to my repertoire! Those are at the end. So without further ado...here is what we're eating:


Regular Rotation (this makes up our main diet - quick & easy for weekdays):

  • Balsamic Chicken Salad (Basically chicken breasts beaten until flat and then seasoned generously with Balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and then grilled, cut up and served on a bed of lettuce with other veggies and toasted pine nuts. This is one of our faves in the summer with avocado - yum!)
  • Parmesan Chicken with Arugula (served with Ina's lemon vinaigrette)
  • Rosemary Chicken (We do this with leg quarters using the same ingredients as Butterflied Chicken, below.)
  • Sticky Chicken (Who knew a crock pot was so great? Especially good in the summer so you don't have to run the oven and heat up the house.)
  • Roasted shrimp and orzo (Similar to this recipe here, but we add basil, feta and toasted pine nuts.)
  • Shrimp salad (Like the chicken salad at the top, only we use shrimp and roast it as in the recipe above.)
  • Shrimp tacos (Soft tacos with roasted shrimp. We like ours with salsa, avocado and lots of lime juice.)
  • Shrimp Scampi
  • Burgers (Again - Ina. So moist and juicy, but don't let them sit too long before cooking - the olive oil breaks the meat down and can make it difficult to grill.
  • Crab Cakes (So easy, fast and relatively healthy. We leave out the pepper and scallion...I use some garlic instead. So good with sweet potato fries and a salad.)
  • Chicken with Herbed Goat Cheese (Delicious in the summer when I can walk outside and pick fresh basil off a pot in front of my house.)
  • Roasted chicken (Can you go wrong? Agreed - Ina's recipe is very good. I like to soak my chicken in salt water for a few hours before cooking; it keeps the meat tender and juicy!)

Weekends

Company

  • Shrimp scampi
  • Butterflied chicken
  • Burgers
  • Red Wine Vinegar chicken
  • Chicken with Herbed Goat Cheese

Rarely


New Recipes

These recipes all use similar ingredients: Balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, extra-virgin olive oil, salt & pepper, lemons and a variety of fresh herbs. I like it when dinner just comes together based on what I have in the fridge or pantry and what's on sale at the grocery store, but I'm starting to find that having an idea for the week is a much better way to go and I'm not stuck on a week night missing a few key ingredients.

I can't wait to try some of your recipes soon. I'm so hungry now!

Happy cooking,
Kara

No comments: