Monday, May 23, 2011

Re: Living Room Curtains, Parts 1 + 2

Hi Kara,

I just sat and read posts 1 and 2 back to back.  Having the pictures of the living room to reference was great.  So, while I know the month of May is almost over and that you would like to get started on updating the upstairs of your house, I think it's really important that you step back from just focusing on the curtains and try story boarding out the entire room.  The really graphic patterned curtains could be great, but I want to know what is going on in the rest of the room.  But then again if you decide to do the ticking stripe pattern, you can bring in more colors and patterns with the pillows and accessories.  I don't think it has to be a crazy actual boarded plan, but let's discuss what else is going on in the room. 

My two random comments about the fabric you included samples of...
1.  The fabric Holly suggested, well, Anthropologie totally makes a rug that looks just like it!  Random, but I knew that because I have always LOVED the rug!
Mantadia Rug - Anthropologie



 
2.  I have to confess something, because my mom - a loyal reader of Peach and Lass - totally called me out on it.  I don't really love ticking.  Not that there is anything wrong with it at all, but it's never been for me.  That being said, my mom's bedding includes shams and a bed skirt with ticking and she happens to love it and she used to decorate model homes for a living.  So my opinion is mine alone.  And I don't hate it, I think it's probably just not graphic enough for me.  But it could totally be the winner for your living room.  And I will love it when it's all done!  (I just had to be honest.)

Okay, so back to my original plan of story boarding.  It seems like everything is staying furniture wise as well as all pictures, right?  The rug is staying, too, right?  And then definitely all the pictures.  So basically the room is being spruced up with new curtains, pillows and figuring out something to replace the ladder thing with?  Would you ever consider moving the tv stand and tv to that wall centered?  The wall with the ladder thing.

And regarding Mr. Lass's favorite piece, is it a wing back recliner?  A little hard to tell from the pictures, but looked to have a different shape for a recliner.  Anyway it can be recovered?  :)

Last comment/question and then I'll patiently wait for responses.  Regarding the hanging of curtains, my recommendation is that you hang the rod as high as possible.  The illusion will help make the room taller, and that totally solves the problem with the tops of the windows being different heights.  Even when I don't have the window problem, I love hanging curtains high.  

House of Peach Guest Room

Can't wait to hear from you!

No comments: