Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Subject: Why Onions Make Me Cry and Smile

Have you heard the news, Kara??  We are basically in the middle of a Southern blizzard.  The 5 plus inches in my neighborhood, have resulted in Hubby being off from work yesterday AND today AND probably tomorrow.  

We ventured outside yesterday with the dogs in multiple layers of clothing.  It was nice to get some fresh air, but it was also REALLY cold!  Here's a shot of the front of the house.


Once we got home, Millie relaxed on our new couch.  (Did I tell you about the couch fiasco?  I can't remember??  Did I tell you we got a couch from Restoration Hardware now??)


And while Millie was relaxing, I cooked up one of my FAVORITE winter meals - French Onion Soup.  Ina Garten's recipe is TO DIE FOR.  It's easy and delicious.  A little time consuming to let the onions caramelize, but well worth the wait!  And, I make Hubby chop the onions because they really do make me cry.  


The only change I make to the recipe is I buy a baguette, cut a few slices and stick them under the broiler for a couple of minutes until the toast up.  Do you have a favorite winter meal?  Something to warm you up during the cold, non-snow days in the Sunshine State?

No comments: